Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Texas death row inmate pulls out eye, eats it
HOUSTON – A Andre Thomas, 25, was arrested for the fatal stabbings of his estranged wife, their young son and her 13-month-old daughter in March 2004. Their hearts also had been ripped out. He was convicted and condemned for the infant's death.inmate with a history of mental problems pulled out his only good eye and told authorities he ate it.
While in thein Sherman, Thomas plucked out his right eye before his trial later in 2004. A judge subsequently ruled he was competent to stand trial.
A death-row officer at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice found Thomas in his cell with blood on his face and took him to the infirmary.of the
"Thomas said he pulled out his eye and subsequently ingested it," agency spokesman Jason Clark said Friday.
Thomas was treated at East Texas Medical Center in Tyler after the Dec. 9 incident. Then he was transferred and remains at the Jester Unit, a prison psychiatric facility near Richmond southwest of Houston.
"He will finally be able to receive the mental health care that we had wanted and begged for from day 1," Bobbie Peterson-Cate, Thomas' trial attorney, told the Sherman Herald Democrat. "He is insane and mentally ill. It is exactly the same reason he pulled out the last one."
At his trial, defense lawyers also argued he suffered from alcohol and drug abuse.
Thomas does not have an execution date.
The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals in October upheld his conviction and death sentence for the death of 13-month-old Leyha Marie Hughes. Also killed March 27, 2004, were his wife, Laura Christine Boren, 20, and their son, 4-year-old Andre Lee.
Thomas, from Texoma, walked into the Sherman Police Department and told a dispatcher he had just murdered the three and had stabbed himself in the chest.
Thomas told police how he put his victims' hearts in his pocket and left their apartment, took them home, put them in a plastic bag and threw them in the trash.
Court documents described the three victims as having "large, gaping wounds to their chests."
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Thursday, August 14, 2008
- Why did they have to make morning so early?
- A fancy new bed may be the best money you'll ever spend. Although new tube socks are a close second. The first time you put them on, when they're all fuzzy and fresh? I love that.
- I miss my house a lot less than I thought I would. I guess waking up in love will do that to a guy.
- Good lord, I've gone Hallmark. I'm so sorry.
- My favorite dumb joke: What's brown and sticky? Answer later.
- I've put 15,000 miles on my new car in about 9 months. Luckily gas is really affordable.
- Party at my buddy's lake house this weekend. Boating, drinking and cards. I hope to win at 2 out of those 3.
- Facebook is not like crack. But it is reasonably entertaining and mildly addictive. Try it! All the cool kids with free time are doing it!
- Answer: A stick.
- There are probably 100 music stations on XM and WFPK (91.9 Louisville) is still better than all of 'em.
- Dinner last night was fresh salmon on the grill, topped with a round of goat cheese and cherry tomatoes. Collard greens on the side. Better than Sonic.
- My brother and his family have moved to Indy from Omaha. I am excited to have them so close - I hardly ever see those guys. My girls are about exactly the same age as his boys. So there's that.
- 2 weeks or so from the start of Fantasy Football. I have made the playoffs (and thus profited) every year in the league, but newly-found parental responsibilities might limit my R&D time. But probably not.
- On the plus side, Charmed has made it her vow to figure out football this year. So I'll have to spend a lot of time explaining it to her.
- That is all.
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
is scheduled for 4:15 today. Please, please, PLEASE, buyer of my house, don't ask me to throw out that blue recliner in the attic, or all of those paint cans in the basement.
Because I am tired, and busy the rest of the week (we close on Friday), and I really don't want to find a home for 17 half-empty paint cans.
Thank you for your consideration.