Tuesday, February 20, 2007

365

For 12 months
Sometimes more
Sometimes less
They are there

Providing reminders
Of things both pleasant
-Aunt Sophie's birthday!
And unfortunate
-Root canal.

The wall calendar also
Fills our day
If just for a moment
With an image of something
That makes us smile

The calendars
With pictures of
Atrocities
And Pestilence
Are not big sellers

Instead we choose puppies
Or classic paintings
Or sports heroes

But mostly we choose those
With pictures of places
Places we have been
Places we dream of going
Places that are different
Than what we know

And so day after day
We go to our kitchens
And look on the wall
To see not only our lives
And our routines
But also to dream
If only for an instant

Now we are the sports hero
And we are the artist
And we imagine a life
So different than our own

The very instrument
We use to manage our life
Is also the one
We use to escape it

5 comments:

Voix said...

This is a very cool piece. Reflective, honest, and compelling.

But I suppose you're more comfortable posting music videos, huh?

Dunnski Love said...

Thanks Michele. I think there's room on my blog for both. The Internet is a big place.

But yes, given my druthers, I suppose I would rather make people smile than think. I don't know if that makes me shallow, or if making people happy is too important to me, or if I haven't completely bought into this whole pouring one's heart out on the Web thing yet.

I'm trying to communicate more on all levels. Those who don't learn from their mistakes, right?

Voix said...

It isn't just pouring out your heart -- there is no blog rule that you have to say anything about your feelings or your personal life. . . But I really like blogs where people engage me on some level. Thoughts or emotions or projects that go whirrr -- it doesn't matter, but interesting people should put up interesting things. I'm personally not a fan of music videos, so I tend to think they're a cop out.

Voix said...

By the way, I hear "you're the man" -- congratulations?

Dunnski Love said...

You heard right. I am in fact the man.